I had shortlisted XUV300, Creta & Seltos. I’d have thought-about XUV500, Harrier/Safari twins however parking constraints and being cumbersome needed to drop it altogether.
BHPian DragonHawk lately shared this with different lovers.
It is a story of my journey from a humble Ford Figo 1.4TDCi to Å koda Kushaq 1.5TSI MT.
Having owned a number of automobiles and bikes, I’ve been lazy sufficient to contribute to this discussion board through possession threads. I’ll attempt to cowl the general journey intimately as a lot as potential. Opinions and views that are expressed listed here are based mostly on my expertise of proudly owning earlier Ford automobiles and a few of my views is perhaps reverse with normal opinions of many.
Precisely a decade in the past my vehicle journey began with Figo. It had served me effectively for 7 years with out inflicting any main gap within the pocket however it was clearly displaying its age. With the automotive nearing 90,000 km I used to be feeling the necessity to improve and like many people who’ve owned a Figo, my first alternative was Ecosport. So in 2018, with Ecosport 1.5TDCi Titanium already within the storage, a choice was made to promote Figo. Automobile was in good condition and was offered to one of many SA whom I knew from the preliminary days of Figo. He knew out and in of the automotive, so I used to be tremendous pleased to let her go to the protected palms.
Due to the pandemic, me being in WFH mode and wifey being in govt. sector needed to be in workplace for more often than not, Ecosport was at her obligation, and having pushed Figo it was a simple transition for her to shift to Ecosport. Nonetheless, dealing with a relatively larger automotive passing by way of slender streets to her office was a little bit of a trouble for her. As days progress, it was getting troublesome for her to deal with this and we did take into account promoting Ecosport briefly. However fortunately she was transferred to a unique location a month again and she or he needed to relocate to a brand new location together with the automotive. Different the opposite hand, with mother and my kiddo at dwelling, the necessity for having yet another automotive was slowly coming into foray.
Necessities and Shortlisting
- Automobile needs to be compact and may eat much less parking area. Personally, I used to be by no means a fan of giant and ponderous automobiles.
- Automobile ought to have adequate boot area and with all-black interiors.
- Good floor clearance is a should.
- AC efficiency needs to be good and chassis and dynamics needs to be superior to my Ecosport.
- From servicing facet, I’m alright to compromise on value vis a vis for driving pleasure.
- Automobile will need to have a turbo petrol possibility as diesel was dominated out resulting from low working.
Primarily based on my requirement and price range allocation which was set to 12 – 16lakhs, I had shortlisted XUV300, Creta, Seltos. I’d have thought-about XUV500, Harrier/Safari twins however parking constraints and being cumbersome needed to drop it altogether.
Personally, I used to be by no means a fan of new-gen Creta on the way it appears and didn`t actually plan to think about it. Despite the fact that the spouse was extra however didn`t discover it powerful to maintain her away from the ideas of Creta.
Take a look at Drive and Reserving Expertise
With the above necessities in hand, my first go to was to ARM Kia, Mangalore. Showroom expertise has been good however the Seltos GT variant commanded 3-4 months ready time. Add to that latest crash take a look at outcomes weren’t confidence-inspiring both. Furthermore, I felt, design of Seltos as such they age very quick. Despite the fact that it’s not particular to Kia, I felt the general design language of the Korean brothers itself will not be capable of maintain the candle to the German marque. Since I wasn`t prepared to attend that lengthy and determined to park it and the subsequent cease was Karnataka Businesses to checkout XUV300.
Take a look at Drive automotive was not accessible however I did take a look at the automotive on the show which was the bottom variant. General I felt interiors seemed a bit dated, add to that beige interiors and fewer boot area compelled me to drop it with out even take a look at driving it.
Skoda Kushaq 1.0TSI MT
Realizing Skoda sellers and being Kushaq a newly launched one, I had set my expectations a bit low, nonetheless to my shock apart from a few people, the showroom was almost empty. My SA Mr. Auf was assigned in few minutes and obtained to spend almost 2 hours checking the automotive which features a pretty lengthy 20kms take a look at drive. My take a look at drive route included stuffed with grime and potholes and a mixture of freeway and metropolis driving circumstances. I felt suspension is effectively sorted and in contrast to Ecosport this one gallops uneven surfaces and unhealthy roads with ease. General cabin expertise, match and end are first rate and undoubtedly an improve from Ecosport. Coming to the engine, it was my first drive with turbo petrol, and having pushed turbo diesel for greater than 1.5 lakh km, I’m all the time sort of uncomfortable driving NA petrol however this one turned out to be a cushty one to drive. We had been solely two folks within the automotive and as anticipated 1.0 TSI was keen to drag proper from 1700rpm, the exhaust grunt you’re feeling whereas upshifting is so addictive. The automotive simply glides by way of velocity breakers in 2nd gear with out making any fuss.
I got here tremendous impressed and the subsequent day after an in depth dialogue, we determined to e-book 1.0TSI MT by paying 35k because the reserving quantity. Nonetheless, one factor I used to be eagerly trying to examine is the automotive’s habits in totally loaded circumstances. Subsequent weekend, we had visited the showroom as soon as once more and took yet another take a look at drive with 5 folks on board. Nearly all of the route was throughout the metropolis and twisty inclines. That is the place issues began falling aside, turbo lag was extra outstanding, and frequent downshift whereas driving within the automotive was actually taking its toll on my leg. Add to that it was noon with blazing solar, AC efficiency wasn`t actually convincing, even with the temperature set to 20C, cooling wasn`t actually fast. Maybe the primary time after I drove this it was raining and the climate was cool and in addition is perhaps I used to be simply spoiled by Ford`s highly effective AC compressor, general I felt AC efficiency was simply okay and with all these points in my thoughts, I wasn`t actually able to compromise on these two points given I’ve to shell out 18.2 lakhs for 1.0 Model MT variant. One factor I want to point out right here is, regardless that the identical engine is utilized in Speedy however I’ve witnessed turbo lag is effectively contained in Speedy than Kushaq.
At this time limit, I wasn`t actually able to go for 1.5TSI owing to the truth that this engine will not be localized and comes with many imported elements. Fearing hefty upkeep payments and elements availability, I used to be even prepared to compromise on the boot area and go for XUV300. A few days glided by and went by way of few worldwide boards, going over points and considerations flagged by different clients. 1.5TSI EVO getting used throughout completely different automobiles of a number of manufacturers underneath the VW umbrella discovered nothing main reported by customers across the globe. So after a whole lot of from side to side dialogue and given the truth that ICE days are numbered, made to my thoughts to go for the engine which may carry a smile to your face each time you sit within the driver`s seat. The choice was purely pushed by coronary heart and at last requested my SA to vary the reserving to the Carbon Metal 1.5TSI MT variant which comes at a sticker worth of 20.2 lakhs on highway Mangalore. I may negotiate on insurance coverage which together with my NCB from the earlier automotive, may handle to scale back the ultimate OTR to 19.8 lakhs.
I knew that VW would unveil Taigun and I had made my thoughts if the value and options match my requirement then in all probability I’d swap to VW. General design of Taigun is eye catchy and hanging compared to Kushaq. Despite the fact that Kushaq will get Skodaâs conventional butterfly grille, flanked by modern LED headlamps, giving it a classier look, whereas the Tiguan-Esque slatted grille, upright hood, and sq. LED headlamps makes the Taigun look extra SUV. However the true downer for me is the 1.5TSI MT variant lacking out on many essential options particularly the 4 further airbags. So it didn`t actually dent my resolution and fortunately determined to retain my Kushaq reserving. Since cumbersome and massive automobiles should not my cup of tea, I’ve determined to not entertain my thoughts with XUV700 ideas.
As per Skoda DMS, tentative supply was proven as twentieth August. As quickly because the automotive was dispatched from the manufacturing unit, SA gave me a heads-up for getting funds prepared and make myself accessible for PDI. Given the very fact, the Tafe Entry is among the oldest sellers for Skoda, surprisingly they didn`t have a correct yard to maintain the automotive. Maybe I believe they didn`t felt the necessity for it resulting from low volumes. I used to be instructed that given how the market has responded to Kushaq, they’re opening a brand new Gross sales and repair middle at Shimoga and the brand new yard shall be prepared in few months. All automobiles had been both saved in close by empty parking areas outdoors the service middle which I felt very dangerous. Fortunately mine was contained in the service middle and because of latest rains I discovered her within the under state.
After an intensive examine together with supplier workers, I knowledgeable the financial institution to go forward with the fund switch and up to date my SA about the popular date and time of supply. As far equipment go, Skoda did provide a Customary accent package which is priced at Rs18799 which I felt is simply too steep for what it gives, so I gave it a miss. My SA Mr. Auf was undoubtedly probably the greatest I had ever interacted with. Despite the fact that he was new to the job however he has been very affected person in dealing with all queries together with obliging a number of take a look at drive requests. On D-day too he has saved every little thing in line with out giving any alternative for delay. There have been few celebrations deliberate by the supplier as I occurred to be one of many preliminary clients of 1.5TSI. General we spent round 2 hours within the showroom and with customary formalities and cake reducing, we had been on our means. 60kms drive again dwelling was stuffed with nerves however totally loved each second of being on the driver`s seat. Particularly energy on faucet was an exhilarating expertise and was actually a boon to drive in countryside 2 lane roads.
With my kiddo
To date I’ve pushed round 2000 km which incorporates a few highways journeys between Puttur-Bangalore. The best way the automotive carried out within the mixture of twisties and boring 4-lane roads, reaffirmed my resolution for going with 1.5-litre TSI, as a substitute of 1.0-litre.
What I beloved:
- Stylish European design with signature Skoda appears.
- Punchy 1.5TSI motor which gives good driveability and heavy load or much less load, the automotive pulls like a locomotive. In case you are planning to purchase Kushaq, then shut your eyes and go for this motor.
- Compact SUV which gives oodles of legroom area
- Sorted suspension gives a balanced trip & dealing with package deal
- Properly kitted with security options like 6 airbags, ESC, 3-point seatbelts for all, digital differential lock, brake disc wiping, multi-collision brake, and EDR
- Comes with helpful options like Ventilated seats, 6 audio system arrange with subwoofer, and Wi-fi charging with apple automotive play and android auto
- Confidence-inspiring driving dynamics with much less physique rolls and wonderful brakes
- Stylish old-school analog dials.
- Delivers wonderful gas economic system when in comparison with automobiles of this class and engine dimension.
What I disliked:
- 1.5TSI is positioned at an eye-watering worth. It is an enormous worth one must pay if you’d like a fun-to-drive automotive.
- VW/SKODA India particular MQB A0 IN platform, which makes me nervous in regards to the scale of cost-cutting being finished.
- Skoda’s scary after-sales service.
- Evident omission of options which might be accessible in different cheaper cousins and different product choices within the section.
- Niggles and points reported by Kushaq 1.0TSI homeowners.
- Inside plastic high quality is simply okay, it’s undoubtedly under par when in comparison with the value one is paying for the automotive.
- Contact-based AC management is a bit annoying to make use of particularly whereas shifting gears, as palms typically contact the panel and disturb the settings.
- Window management panel switches appear like it belongs to a unique period.
- 10″ Infotainment system has a thoughts of its personal, to date I’ve seen the rear digital camera and the sound system stopped working . After the system reset, every little thing was again to regular.
- High quality of reverse parking digital camera fairly common and add to it offers solely static pointers.
- Low-cost AC Vents, particularly slider which may be very fragile. In my case rear, AC vent slider is already damaged.
Issues may have been higher:
- Energy window motor makes a loud noise whereas working.
- There are not any visible differentiation between1.5TSI variants and 1.0TSI. Skoda ought to have gone VW means by clearly differentiating the Sporty 1.5TSI.
- AC efficiency is first rate however not the most effective and in case you are a earlier Ford proprietor, then it is going to take a while earlier than you get used to it.
- Not like different Skoda automobiles and my Ecosport, doorways should not heavy which does not encourage confidence within the construct high quality.
- Skoda ought to have supplied frameless wipers as a substitute of regular ones for each entrance and rear.
- 2 million automotive and would you consider you received`t get a puddle lamp.
- High quality of leather-based seats, match and end are strictly common.
- Infotainment system doesn`t include bodily buttons. Even if you wish to swap off show at night time, you must take your eyes off the highway or ask a fellow co-driver to do it for you.
- Cabin insulation is common, engine sound seeps into the cabin which fanatic in me don`t thoughts although however common Joe may really feel irritated.
Niggles to date:
- Frequent disconnection whereas utilizing wi-fi apple automotive play. Must confirm if it’s the similar when related through kind C cable.
- Driver-side energy window buttons acts bizarre. If one presses the button down and midway if he decides to shut it and presses up, the window will go down totally after which it is going to come up which I felt a bit quirky.
- Rear digital camera show and the sound system stopped working, system reset solved it.
- Gasoline gauge was caught after gas pump substitute resulting from recall. So successfully my automotive is working with third gas pump.
Proceed studying DragonHawk’s Skoda Kushaq assessment for extra insights, info and BHPian feedback.